Wednesday 7 May 2014

Financial curveballs

Sometimes life throws you financial curve balls.  For us, our most recent (and we have had a lot in the past while) was the diagnosis of celiac disease for our son.   We are thankful to finally have a diagnosis and grateful that what he has is something that is treatable by living a gluten free lifestyle....but honestly, it hasn’t been easy.

First of all its not easy to change the diet of a five year old who doesn’t like eating in general and when he does eat just wants to eat goldfish crackers like everyone else.  Despite the fact that living gluten free has almost become popularized in the last few years and there are many new items available, living the diet when you have no choice, and when you are desperately trying to help your child gain weight, becomes extremely frustrating and isolating.   Trying to live on a food budget becomes a little more challenging as well. This may be one of the main reasons I am trying to get our finances in check right now.

  Some of you might think that at least there is a tax write off for food that you buy that is gluten free...and there is...but there is nothing really free about it.  If  you read the  stipulations on how you acquire this tax break, you will know why no one i have spoken to has ever tried to get it.  (eg. Save every receipt, deduct the amount of the gluten free food from the regular amount you would pay for the food and then make sure that you are   deducting the amount that is eaten ONLY by the individual with celiac disease in the family.)  Now were my child older than 5, that would perhaps be easier.  The fact is, we don’t want him to feel different.  He already struggles not wanting to go to preschool because he doesn’t like to eat  differently than other children at snack time..and it really breaks my heart.  So we try to normalize as much as can.  This means for the most part, outside of bread and cereal our family meals are all gluten free and we try to purchase similar gluten free  foods to what other kids get to eat.

To be perfectly honest, probably my least favourite ways of spending my time are in the grocery store and in the kitchen.  I try to force myself to love it, but it certainly doesn’t come naturally, and  since this diagnosis, my time in both places has grown significantly.  I should probably find a support group..Ha.  (and I will as soon as I can find one t that meets our needs).

Being able to afford to live this way conveniently is difficult.  My heart goes out to families that have received this or some other diagnosis where they simply do not have the resources to go out and buy a $5.99 loaf of bread that needs to be frozen and toasted in order to taste edible.  We are blessed that we can pull from the money we set aside each month to put into RSP’s, but not everyone is able to do that.   

I am working diligently on trying to find the most frugal way to live this diet within our home without having to break the bank or move into my kitchen.  I am also saving receipts...but need to sit down and figure out a better menu plan and system for grocery shopping in order to help us out.  Hopefully by this time next year, living this way will be second nature and we will have figured out a healthy and economical way to deal with the disease.  I guess my point is, we will all have things come up to stop us in our plans, the  important thing is finding solutions to help keep us working towards our goals. 

My heart has opened up to all those who deal with celiac disease.  I hope that next time you donate to a food bank that you will take a minute to pick up something from the gluten free aisle to help those that aren’t able to easily afford living in a way that is medically necessary way for them to live.  I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment