Tuesday 3 June 2014

How much does it cost you to eat per month

How much do you spend a month on groceries?

 


According to stats Canada most recent update, the average food expenditures for a year in Alberta is $8,414 (this is from 2012) so about $701 a month.   For information on other provinces check out the following link:
 
As a stay at home mom, one of the main ways that I am able to  contribute to saving money is through watching our grocery bill.   I am fascinated to read blogs where people are able to feed families with 4 people for under $400 a month in Canada.  Some pretty creative ways to save.   

Unfortunately for us, I am not so good in this department. I am great at looking for good deals, but that also requires me to go into a whole lot of different stores, which then tempts me to purchase  other things which may not be in our list.  Our current monthly budget for a family of 5, is around $900 a month..(ouch)...and since having a child diagnosed with celiac disease in January has gone up.  Because he is underweight and because the whole diet has been a learning curve we have purchased a lot of products trying to find foods that he likes.  I am hoping that as time goes on our grocery bill will decrease.:)  The good news is that we rarely eat out anymore because its so hard finding accommodating and affordable places to eat out.

Food is a little like money. It is such a personal thing.:)  Depending on how you were raised probably forms a lot of ideas on how you prepare your foods, the type of foods you eat, and how much you like to have on hand.   The amount you earn also determines how much you may be comfortable spending each month.  
I definitely have some work to do is this area....how about you?
TIPS:

I loved how when my mom used to save money, (because she used cash), she was able to actually put money aside when she saved it.   One of my problems is that when it comes off a card, we don’t actually see the savings and  never manage to set the extra savings aside.

Another thought that  I have had is that although we do eat well balanced meals...my husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and likes food...but there are days that we can actually have a much simpler and less expensive meal.  Even doing that once a week can make a tiny dent in our monthly costs.

I totally believe meal planning is one of the greatest tools we can use not only to save but to reduce waste.  I struggle sometimes when I find something at the back of the fridge that I forgot about, like sandwhich meat/cheese/expired items and produce that has gone to waste.  I have been known to have moments when I keep it in the fridge longer than necessary simply because I feel so guilty throwing it in the garbage.  Strange I know...

It truly is a waste when you think that there are individuals struggling to put food on the table each day...so even if you feel you have the luxury of having a little waste because money isn’t tight, why not try and save anyways and put that money towards donating to the food bank or towards giving to a family in need.
Happy planning!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment