Friday 17 October 2014

How big is your world?

Image result for free world clipart
My eleven year old daughter recently completed an assignment at school where students were to write an essay on which they would rather be, rich or famous.  They wrote their essays and then were assigned to draw a picture to capture which ever they chose.  I remember looking at alarm at my daughters drawing to see closets full of clothing, jewels, mansions, bedrooms, banks full of money and all of the lovely colourful and glittery things that one could purchase with money.   I discreetly asked her if she was going to include a drawing of her helping anyone in need if she had all that money, and she may have corrected her drawing on my behalf.  In her defense, she did say that it was hard to draw a picture of doing something nice for others.:) 

 It was a good lesson to me that even though I am trying to teach my kids to think of others, sometimes we really need to help make the world a little larger than they see it.   Living in comfortable suburbian areas affords little opportunity for my kids to see people that do without.  The once a year drive we do into the city where they see a homeless person or three on the street must not sink in quite as deeply as I think it does.  I know it was just  a casual assignment, but it has furthered my for resolve that I can do my part to better teach my kids how they can play a part in helping those in need. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment