Thursday 16 October 2014

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

This is just a friendly reminder that Christmas is coming soon.  Yes...I know it’s only October 16, but whether you are facing potential unemployment (like we are), or just want to really enjoy the season, starting to prepare now is a great idea.

I love Christmas, and I love the reason for the season.  However, Christmas brings with it a whole lot of conflicting feelings as well.  For instance, the whole money thing.  According to the Bank of Montreal, holiday spending was forecasted at $1810 for last year (2013).  Wow.
 http://newsroom.bmo.com/press-releases/2013-bmo-holiday-spending-outlook-consumers-plan--tsx-bmo-201311060909354001

I like everyone else want to provide my family with wonderful gifts, to show my love for them, and to plain and simply see looks of surprise and feelings of happiness on Christmas morning.   But should it really cost that much for an average family to buy those feelings.
I can remember growing up and having some very simple Christmas.  They were beautiful and I have fond memories of them , however, we didn’t have the resources for many gifts.    Sometimes my mom would just wrap up random things from in the house so that we had more to unwrap at Christmas.  It sure was exciting to see all those packages sparkling under the Christmas tree from all the colourful lights and tinsel.  Sometimes my large gift for the year was a book of Bible stories, or a stuffed brown bear with a bow on it (I still have that bear).:)  One year we even received a hamper.  As a kid, I thought that was one of the most exciting things ever.

I can also recall one year that a friend called on Christmas day and asked what I got.  I remember feeling slightly inadequate and unsure of what to say as she listed off the stereo, clothing, music, and jewellery that she received,   and just skirted around the answer. 
 However, I think that the experience of receiving little, and less than others can be truly character building.  In fact, its what helps me to remember those who are less fortunate each year and all the time.   I want my children to know what it is to really want something, and I also want them to know what it means to go without something....just because.  That sounds a little scroogey....but honestly in a world where the average 6 and 7 year old are asking for ipads and iphones, you want them to know the joy that comes from waiting and dreaming and hoping.  You also want them to be willing to sacrifice something that they have to help someone who has less feel the joy that they will have because they have nothing. 

The battle of wanting to give to my children, and also wanting them to give of what they have is one that I still struggle with.  But one thing that helps is getting my shopping done early in the year.  That way, when the Season starts (in NovemberJ), I can focus my attentions onto relationships, people, memories and creating opportunities for our family to serve others.  The battle always rages in my mind, but at least I don’t have to fight the war in the Mall.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment